Build the local church, by investing in its leadership
When you sponsor the studies of a Christian leader - whether a young, emerging leader just stepping out, or a more seasoned senior leader - you make it possible for a brother or sister in Christ to get what they need to respond to the call of God on their life.
This is one of the most focused, strategic and relational ways to participate in global mission, and build the local church. We invite you to get involved.
How it works from our side
We work closely with our Partner Schools and visit them every year. Our long-standing relationships ensures that those involved in the sponsorship venture deliver courses with well recognised qualifications, and that the faculty staff are well qualified. Senior leaders undertaking Masters or PhD studies are carefully chosen, as are the universities where they study.
Partner Schools send us the profiles of the students who have applied to study. Each student is pre-approved and meets the school’s entry criteria (similar to how it is done in New Zealand tertiary institutes). The students that are then given sponsorships are selected based on their humility and integrity; men and women who are passionate about the redeeming love of Jesus.
Generous Kiwis give a monthly gift of a minimum of $50 for 'Emerging Leaders' sponsorships, and $100 for 'Radical Disciples' i.e. Masters and PhD students. Some donors like to choose their student; others are happy for us to put their gift to the person we think best. As a student sponsor, your monthly gift primarily covers the tuition fees, but may also be used towards library resources for students, accommodation, and food. Sometimes it may be used for emergency medical help and nutritional support for students.
The sponsorship money makes an in-country contribution of up to 85% of the true cost of the students’ training, and is sent directly to the Partner School’s operating expenses, not the student. The sponsorships are a major contribution to the needs of the whole Partner School. It is a requirement that all sponsored students pay something towards the cost of their tuition. The amount students are required to pay (often as little as 10-15% of the real cost) is decided by the Partner School.
A few sponsorship FAQs answered
- You can start giving at any time during the year.
- Your monthly gift can be any amount from $50 per month 'Emerging Leaders', and $100 per month for 'Radical Disciples' i.e. Masters and PhD students.
- You are welcome to sponsor more than one student.
- You will receive a profile, a photo, and two reports per year from your student until they graduate.
- If you would like to increase the impact of your gift, we encourage you to support one of our PhD or Masters students, as these are faculty leaders training other leaders in Asia-Pacific.
- Students are not usually informed of the names of their sponsors, though if you would like your student to know about you, we will gladly pass on the information.
Go to our Contact page, and send us a message with ‘Student Sponsorships’ as the subject line, and we will be in touch.
Or phone our office and our staff will simply set up your monthly gift over the phone.
If you're leveraging your gift further by sponsoring one of our PhD or Masters students, read more about them here, and let us know who you've chosen.